Howell Township Frequently Asked Questions

I would like to split my land. Where do I start?

The Assessing department and the Assesssor guide you as to what requirements are needed.

Where can I get the amortization schedule to see how much the assessment charge on my winter tax bill for the duration of the sewer and or water assessments will be?

Just call the Township Hall at 517-546-2817.

What are the Township office hours?

Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, CLOSED Friday. We are closed all federal holidays, the day before Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, New Year's Eve.

Where are the Howell Township cemeteries located, and what are the plot fees?

You can call the Deputy Clerk at 517-546-2817 for more information.

Can I pay my taxes with a credit/debit card?

Yes — follow the link below to pay your taxes with a credit or debit card.

When do I get my tax bills?

Summer tax bills are mailed the last week of June; winter bills the last week of November.

Where can I get a dog license?

Township residents can purchase dog licenses at the Township Hall.


Do you need a burn permit in Howell Township?

No. The Fire Authority does not require burn permits; they only ask that you keep your fire in small piles and attend the fire at all times.

What does the Township do to control the dust on dirt roads?

The Township contracts with a company to apply calcium chloride on county dirt roads. If you live on a private road, it is up to you to set up your own chloride application.

My neighbor has excess junk and old cars in their yard. What can be done?

You must start with the Zoning Administrator, who will then begin the process of contacting the individual and issuing citations if necessary.

Which schools would my children attend?

Howell Public Schools (517-548-6357) or Fowlerville Public Schools (517-223-6001). Call one of the above numbers for district boundaries.

Can I rent the Township Hall?

No. We do not rent the Township Hall out for private events.

What cable provider does Howell Township have?

Comcast – 888-866-2278

What is the local paper?

The Livingston County Press (Daily Press & Argus) is the local newspaper.

What is the local radio station?

The local radio station is WHMI-FM 93.5.